Sunday, February 3, 2013

Dirty Words

Lake Superior State University in Michigan recently released its 38th annual List of Words to be Banished from the Queen's English for Misuse, Overuse and General Uselessness. Now, I'm not saying I talk like an English professor or nothin', but I've long thought it time to banish some words from polite conversation. Some of them used to be perfectly lovely words, but their overuse and misuse by the general public has gotten to the point they need to be banned from the English language. Below is my own list of words that need to go (and I'm sharing my list with you before I even look at LSSU's list). Let's review.

1. Literally--This has literally become the most irritating word I have literally ever heard. Literally.

2. Irregardless--Okay, you do know this is not really a word, right? Unless you're referring to the (no doubt fabulous) restaurant here in Raleigh, don't use it. The word is "regardless." But you knew that.

3. Like--This is a case of needing to say what you mean. I can't stand to hear someone say "And I was like, ...." You're not, like, anything. You said something. You thought something. You did something. You're not like anything.

4. I could care less--I couldn't care less if you keep using this phrase in correctly, but if you think about it long enough, you might realize you're saying the opposite of what you intend.

5. My bad--Your bad what? I need more information.

6. Basically--Ironically, this term that should mean you're breaking something down into its simplest parts seems to lead to long, drawn out explanations. Don't mislead me. Just jump into it.

7. Sick--This is the appropriate term if you're describing someone not feeling well or something that isn't working right. Using this term to describe something you're actually trying to convey is really good, exciting, fabulous, or otherwise wonderful is, well, sick.

8. Epic--Really, you can't be more original than thata?

9. It is what it is--Well, of course it is what it is. What else would it be? Why are you telling me something I already know? This isn't illuminating at all.

10. Deets--The word "details" is only two syllables and really should not require much in the way of abbreviation. Besides, it sounds like the name of a robot. 

Honorable Mentions:
fiscal cliff, trending, and occupy 

So I'm not trendy. Sue me. Now, what word of phrase do you think is overused?

No comments:

Post a Comment