Sunday, September 7, 2014

Meet Poppy and Penny

I do still have a list of things I'm wanting to blog about, but this weekend, a new one has risen to the top of the list--the introduction of Poppy and Penny into my household. 
Poppy, formerly known as Tossa, appeared with a litter of kittens on the doorstep of the person who runs the Dixie County Humane Society last August. She was aged to be around 6 months at the time--quite a young mama. Since then, she's been living on the sun porch of the person who runs that group. Other cats there as well, but her rescuer told me that she's not been particularly friendly with them. However, Poppy's still pretty young, about a year and a half years old now, maybe closing in on two years, and with some close attention, could learn to become a good companion to me and another cat.

I picked her up yesterday and brought her upstairs, tucking her in the guest bathroom for a while as a transition site. Thus the picture above in the bathtub with weird bathroom lighting (and, to think, this is the lighting we use to get ready in the morning). She loves people and has been very lovey right off the bat. She is a tortie, so she's kind of snippy and can get some sensory overload happening, but a little of that is expected. She might have a few manners still to learn, but overall, she's really beautiful and very sweet. The one thing she's still got to adjust to is the fact that there's another cat in the house.

Penny came from the Alachua County ASPCA, just four months old as of yesterday. Yes, she looks like Sasha in that she's also black, but she has medium hair and no white locket.  And I think she's going to be a bit of a big girl! She had been taken in to Alachua County Animal Control and was on the euthanasia list until the ASPCA brought her and her litter mates over to see if they could adopt them out. Because you run out of names quickly in this business, they became known as the "X" litter, and she was known as Xandie. That needed to change immediately.
When I went by the ASPCA to see who might be willing to adopt me, the "X" litter was the last one I saw in the kitten room. I sat down on the floor and opened the cage door, and it was Xandie who climbed down to greet me. When I put her in my lap, she immediately sat and started purring. So I didn't have much choice but to go back yesterday and adopt her. She's technically being fostered with me at at the moment until they can get her microchipped (the staff member explained to me that they're in a "it's complicated" status with the microchip vendor). She showed a little initial caution at being in a new place, but her curiosity gets the best of her quickly, and she's become quite comfortable in her new home.

Overnight, they both hopped up on the bed (at different times) and explored the apartment, so today, they seem to be pretty settled in. The last piece to this puzzle is for them to become friends. Penny is a little confused as to what the problem is ("I'm a fun girl!") and would be perfectly happy to have a play-mate. Poppy isn't so thrilled, but she's watching closely, and I hope that tolerance will soon turn to friendship. I'd like them to entertain each other rather than count on me all the time. Interestingly, they both independently figured out that they fit perfectly in the bathroom sinks, so they have more in common than they realize!  I'd like to start taking them places, having them feel good about other people visiting and visiting other people, even my parents' dog. They did really well when a friend came over this afternoon and had great fun with her. One step at a time.

Meanwhile, here's a couple of videos. I'll start a Shutterfly album soon. And I'll get back to writing blog entries about other things!


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the 2 new little additions to your family! They are both adorable, and very lucky, too, to have you as their mom! I hope that one day they will think of me as they "Auntie Vicki." Keep the updates and photos and links coming... I love keeping up to date on them (and you!)!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete