Saturday, March 11, 2017

Review: Lily and the Octopus

Lily and the Octopus Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5. Anyone who knows me knows that, when I read a book, you can kill off any person you want, but touch an animal, and I'm putting the book down. So when I first starting hearing about this, I said, "Oh, I can't do that. I'll cry through the whole thing." The author himself responded in a tweet, "It's okay. I promise. You'll love it." And eventually, I trusted, held my breath, bit my lip, pet my cats, downloaded the audio...and fell in love. The tone of the whole thing is funny and sweet and is a bit of a love letter to all of us out there owned by pets. I mean, seriously folks, the dog talks. And I love that the narrator, the person who loves Lily to the point where she is truly the love of his life, is a man, only one of the stereotypes being busted in this story. Let's not forget that the audio is narrated by the marvelous Michael Urie, who could not have been more perfect as a reader. Yes, there were tears--there's an emotional ride going on here--but there was a smile behind them. I'm only sorry I waited so long to read it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment